MUSIC

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Basic Polish phrases 1

When you go abroad - for example Poland - you must know at least some important phrases - "Good morning", "Good evening", etc.

In this post, I will show you how to say "Good morning" in Polish, and more!

I will mark English sentences and words in normal font, and Polish in italics




******



Morning, noon, evening and night



1. Morning
Good morning - Dzień dobry

Good morning. How are you? - Dzień dobry. Jak się masz?
Good morning. How I can help you? - Dzień dobry. W czym mogę pomóc?
Morning! Did you sleep well? - Dzień dobry! Dobrze spałeś?


2. Noon
"Good afternoon" in Poland has no exact counterpart. So we also say "Dzień dobry". "Dzień" in English is "Day" - which can be understood - that during the day. We wish someone a successful rest of the day, from morning and noon, because the day is still going on.


3. Evening
Good evening (in the evening) - Dobry wieczór

Evening, everybody! - Dobry wieczór wszystkim!
Evening! How are you today, sir? - Dobry wieczór! Jak się pan dzisiaj miewa?
Evening! Nice weather, isn't it? - Dobry wieczór! Ładną mamy pogodę, prawda?
Evening, sir! - Dobry wieczór panu!


4. Night
Good night/Goodnight/Night - Dobranoc/Dobrej noc

I'm going to sleep. Good night. - Idę spać. Dobrej nocy.
Good night, I will see you tomorrow. - Dobranoc, zobaczymy się jutro.




******




Hi, hello, greetings, welcome, goodbye




1. Hi, hello

I Hello - Cześć

II Bye - Pa
When we say goodbye

III Hello/Hallo/Hullo - Cześć or Dzień dobry

Hello! What are you doing here? - Cześć! Co ty tutaj robisz?

IV Hi! - Cześć!

Hi, I'm Nata. - Cześć, jestem Nata.

V Wotcha! Wotcher! - Cześć! Siema!

2. Greetings, welcome
Greetings! - Witam!

I Greet - Witać/Witać się

She greeted her husband cheerfully. - Ona przywitała męża radośnie.
She greeted her grandmother and left the room. - Przywitała się ze swoją babcią i wyszła z pokoju.

II Welcome - Przywitać

They city is doing its part to welcome the development. - Miasto wykonuje swoją część, żeby powitać rozwój.

III Hail/Salute - Witać się/Salutować

 They hailed the war heroes. - Oni zasalutowali bohaterom wojennym

IV Greet somebody with something - Przywitać kogoś czymś

V Extend a welcome - Powitać

VI Bid somebody welcome - Powitać kogoś

VII Exchange greetings - Przywitać się/wymienić pozdrowienia

VIII Say hello - Przywitać się/powiedzieć "cześć"

Come and say hello to your uncle. - Przyjdź i przywitaj się z wujkiem.


3. Goodbye

I Goodbye - Pożegnanie

I guess this is our goodbye. - Wygląda na to, że to nasze pożegnanie.

II Goodbye/Hooray - Do widzenia

Goodbye, friend. - Do widzenia, przyjacielu.



******




Thank you, please, I'm sorry


 1. Thank you
Thank you - Dziękuję
Thanks - Dzięki

That was a delicious meal, thank you. - To był pyszny posiłek, dziękuję.
Thank you for your gift. - Dziękuję za twój prezent


2. Please
Please - Proszę
When we please for something

Help me. Please. - Pomóż mi. Proszę.
Could you close the window? Please. - Mógłbyć zamknąć okno? Proszę.

II Here we go/Here you are/There you go - Proszę bardzo
When we give someone something

Here you go. Your coffee, sir. - Proszę. Pańska kawa.
There you go. Eat as much as you want. - Proszę. Zjedz tyle, na ile masz ochotę.

III Ask - Poprosić/Prosić
Ask, for example, for help, advice

Ask your brother to do the shopping for you. - Poproś brata, żeby zrobił za ciebie zakupy.
She asked him to drive her home. - Ona poprosiła go, żeby ją odwiózł do domu.

IV Request - Żądać
Ask, demand

She requested her customer to call her back. - Ona poprosiła swojego klienta, żeby do niej oddzwonił.

Beg - Błagać
Ask someone for something

She begged him to forgive her. - Ona błagała go, aby jej wybaczł.

VI Pray

We pray for your forgiveness, milord. - Prosimy o wasze przebaczenie, milordzie.

VII Here
Please (used when giving something to someone)

Here you are. Can I get you anything else? - Proszę bardzo. Czy podać coś jeszcze?

VIII Please repeat - Proszę powtórzyć

IX Please explain - Proszę, wytłumacz

Come on - Proszę cię
Used when that we know someone is not telling the truth

Come on, you can't expect me to believe you? - Proszę cię, nie spodziewasz się chyba, że ci uwierzę?

XI Bitch please
If we want someone to stop doing something or we don't trust someone


3. I'm sorry
I'm sorry - Przepraszam

I'm sorry I'm late, but I got stuck in a traffic jam. - Przepraszam, że jestem spóźniony, ale utknąłem w korku.
I'm sorry. I didn't want to offened you. - Przepraszam. Nie chciałem cię urazić.

II I'm sorry? - Przepraszam?
When we didn't understand or heard

III Apologize/Apologise - Przepraszam (for something)

You're right, and I apologize. - Masz rację i przepraszam.
I sincerely apologize for any problems this caused you. - Szczerze przepraszam za problemy, które ci to spowodowało.

IV Sorry - Przepraszam

Sorry, but I can't go with you. - Przepraszam, ale nie mogę iść z tobą.
I didn't mean to hurt you. Sorry. - Nie chciałem cię zranić. Przepraszam.

V Excuse me, 'scuse me, 'scuse - Przepraszam
Politely, e.g. When we interrupt someone, wanting to ask something, when we want to cross or politely, when we want to announce that we have to exit

Excuse me, do you know where the bathroom is? - Przepraszam, czy wie pan gdzie jest toaleta?
Excuse me, could you move a little to the left? Thank you. - Przepraszam, czy mógłby pan się przesunąć odrobinę w lewo? Dziękuję.




******




Yes, not, I don't know




1. Yes

Yes - Tak

II Oh - A, tak

III Right - Dobrze/Tak, prawda
Used in questions as confirmation
or
Right - Tak
Used as inclusion to draw the listener's attention

IV So - Tak, taki

It was so embarrassing. - To było takie upokarzające.

V That - Tak, aż, że aż, do tego stopnia, tyle

Where are you behaving like that. - Dlaczego tak się zachowujesz?
He's not that stupid! - On nie jest aż tak głupi

VI No - Tak
Used to agree with a negative statement

VII Yep - Tak/Aha
Yup - Tak/No/Ta

VIII Aye - Tak

IX Yea - Potwierdzenie/Zgoda/Tak

X Yer - Tak/Aha/No


2. Not

I Not - Nie

I'd prefer not. - Wolałbym nie.
I'd rather not eat that. - Wolałbym tego nie jeść.
It's not a problem. - To nie jest problem.

II No - Nie

"Are you Spanish?" "No, I'm not." - "Czy jesteś Hiszpanem?" "Nie, nie jestem."
No, I don't think so. - Nie, nie sądzę.

III Hardly - Raczej nie/Nie

"Do you like him?" "Hardly." - "Czy on ci się podoba?" "Raczej nie."
It's hardly the time for such questions. - To nie jest czas na takie pytania.

IV Nary - Ani/Nie

V Nix

They said nix on our plan. - Powiedzieli nie na nasz plan.

3. I don't know
I don't know - Nie wiem/Nie jestem pewien

I don't know what to tell you. - Nie wiem co ci powiedzieć.

II Don't ask me - Nie pytaj mnie/Mnie nie pytaj

III I couldn't tell you - Nie wiem/Nie powiem ci

IV I don't know/IDK - Nie wiem

IDK when I'll be back. I'll let you know. - Nie wiem kiedy wrócę. Dam ci znać.


V It beats me/Beats me - Nie mam pojęcia/Nie wiem/Nie pojmuję/Nie ogarniam

"Who won the Premier League last year?" "Beats me." - "Kto wygrał Ligę Mistrzów w zeszłym roku?" "Nie mam pojęcia."
It beats me how she got the job. - Nie wiem jak ona dostała pracę.




******




This is just the first post with the most important Polish phrases. As before - I recommend listening to the pronunciation in the Google Translate. However, I will try to find another page where you can listen to Polish pronunciation.

On Tuesday (May 26), next post will appear, but on another topic. Continuation of this post will appear on the weekend in a week.

If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask! But I hope I explained everything quite clearly

I took examples of sentences and words from the English-Polish/Polish English dictionary - diki.pl 

No comments:

Post a Comment